What is sexual harassment?
Sexual harassment of student to student includes any unwelcome sexual advances, request for sexual favors, sexually motivated physical, verbal or nonverbal conduct. It is also includes making persistent or repeated sexual advances to another or otherwise engaging in any actions of a sexual connotation causing embrassment, humiliation or intimidation.
According to the Fort Worth ISD Student Code of Conduct, the harassment of a student is defined as physical, verbal or nonverbal conduct based on the student's race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or any other basis prohibited by law that is so severe, persistent, or pervasive that the conduct:
Affects a student's ability to participate in or benefit from an educational program or activity, or creates an intimidating, threatening, hostile or offensive educational environment;
- Has the purpose or effect of substantially or unreasonably interfering with the student's academic perfomance; or
Otherwise adversley affects the student's educational opportunities.
How is Flirting Different from Sexual Harassment?
- People agree to flirt. Sexual harassment is forced talk that feels cruel, demeaning or threatening to a student or adult.
- Flirting feels like fun. Sexual harassment feels like an insult.
- Flirting is easy going and friendly. It makes people feel appreciated and liked.
- Sexual harassment is attention that is not wanted by at least one person because it feels rude, abusive and disrespectful.
Source: 1999 FWISD Zero Tolerance for Sexual Harassment
Characteristics or Signs of Sexual Harassment:
- sexual advances
- touching intimate body parts or coercing physical contact that is sexual in nature
- jokes or conversations of a sexual nature
- spreading rumors or talking disrespectfully about people’s bodies, personal habits or sexualityand other sexually motivated conduct, and communications
Are you experiencing sexual harassment? Talk to a school official you trust such as a teacher, counselor, nurse, intervention specialist or administrator for help.